Walking Everywhere, and Anywhere!

Every now and then I will update this blog with thoughts about walking, and being a pedestrian in Southern California. Between 2014-2017, this blog also featured several posts about my bicycle adventures around Southern California, but as of 2018 I am back to just being a pedestrian. Riding a bike was fun until someone through a water bottle in my chain one day late at night, so since that time I have just felt safer walking.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

How Pedestrians Shop For Groceries

As a lifelong pedestrian I must tell you lists and simplicity are the best way to tackle grocery shopping. I am guilty of carying my weight in groceries home on numerous occasions, but now I have shifted towards buying small amounts on each trip. When Europeans ago to market they aim to buy fresh essentials such as bread and fruit, rather than stocking up for a winter storm as many of us do here in America. Of all the times I bought mass quantities of groceries I noticed some things went unused, or expired before I had a chance to use the food.

In order to avoid waste I aim to go on several small grocery shopping trips, but since I like shopping maybe this is too enjoyable for me. I restrict myself to only the items on my list, and I have seen my grocery bills go down over the weeks. I only buy what I can comfortably carry for about a mile, which is a good aim for each of my small trips. Websites like amazon are great for stocking up on non-perishables, and items like paper towels and toilet paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Visitors From Around The World