Walking Everywhere, and Anywhere!

Every now and then I will update this blog with thoughts about walking, and being a pedestrian in Southern California. Between 2014-2017, this blog also featured several posts about my bicycle adventures around Southern California, but as of 2018 I am back to just being a pedestrian. Riding a bike was fun until someone through a water bottle in my chain one day late at night, so since that time I have just felt safer walking.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Walking By The Santa Fe Depot


















Last Sunday I took a walk down by the Santa Fe Depot in Redlands, and I thought about how great it would be if this train station was still in operation.




2 comments:

  1. I love the architecture of that train station.

    However, if public funds were used to build that, and no train is running now, it seems like a waste.

    At least you still appreciate the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The train station is owned privately, and I think the train could run again if they wanted it to. Even the publicly funded transportation systems are primarily private businesses in the area, which only receives about 20% of funding from taxes. A lot of transportation authorities are far less funded by taxes than some people would imagine. Even major farmers and other corporations get kick backs and funding like that. Metrolink receives even less funding, and riding the Metrolink train is just as expensive as driving. I think this place could be turned into a train station that at least puts our city in connection with other major cities in the area, and we are one of the few that has not had a train running since the 60's. My feeling is if the private sector wants more privatization, they need to lead the way with revitalization. It could be quite profitable considering the historical location of this train station, which I hear is amazing on the inside.

      Delete

Blog Visitors From Around The World